Arthur Lee Perry came to Goldsboro in 1953, opening a retail building supply store on Carolina Street, naming it Goldsboro Builders Supply. Becoming a part owner, Mr. C.L. Lynn managed the store until he died in 1963. At that time, Arthur Lee permanently moved to Goldsboro to handle the day-to-day operations of Goldsboro Builders Supply where he later founded and managed the first affiliate company, Perry Concrete, beginning in 1964 until it was sold in 1980.
In early 1979, the very first building supply affiliate in Mt. Olive, North Carolina was commenced, naming it Number One Builders Supply. In 1980, the third building supply affiliate Builders Bargain Center of Goldsboro was organized. Arthur Lee's son, David Perry, joined the company full time in 1982 after graduating from East Carolina University.
In 1983, the fourth building supply affiliate, Builders Bargain Center of Greenville, opened. In 1985, an additional organization, Coastal Building Components Truss Plant was launched in Kinston. The last 2 ventures have since been sold.
In 1986, Arthur Lee Perry died tragically in a house fire and David Perry became a minority shareholder with his uncle.
In 1989, the fifth building supply affiliate, Builders Bargain Center of Kinston, opened in the former Coastal Building Components facility.
David Perry became the sole owner in 1990 of the five building supply businesses as he purchased all of his uncle's interest. Builders Bargain Center of Fayetteville, the sixth building supply organization, opened in 1991.
During the 1990's, the 7th and 8th building supply affiliates, Builders Bargain Center of Sanford and Wilmington opened. Both of these affiliates have since been closed and consolidated into the other stores. In 1995, Builders Bargain Center of Goldsboro relocated and changed its business model to a retail oriented Ace Home Center. In 2000, Ace Home Center closed and the shopping center where it operated was the beginning of the company's commercial real estate business. The Ace Home Center was located at the current location of the Goldsboro Commons/ Harris Teeter shopping center.
The company then diversified into real estate and construction-related businesses in Eastern North Carolina. Warehouses, mini storage facilities, offices, apartments, retail strip centers and commercial developments are currently apart of its portfolio.
In 2006, Goldsboro Builders Supply moved from its original location on South Carolina Street to 701 Patetown Road, which serves as our current location. The 15-acre site has 110,000 SF of indoor space, of which has 12,000 SF of offices/ showroom area and an 8,000 SF millwork shop.
In 2007, Builders Bargain Center of Kinston refined its business model becoming Kinston Builders Supply.
In 2009, the company entered in to the residential development business. To date, having developed (5) developments totaling over 300 residential lots. Currently, we have (2) new developments under construction.
In 2012, the company purchased the assets of Morehead Builders Supply located in Morehead City, NC. The company began operations in 1947, making it the oldest company in the building supply group. Also in 2012, the operating name of Number One Builders Supply was changed to Mount Olive Builders Supply.
In 2018, the company opened its 6th builder supply location, Wendell Builders Supply. The 12 acre site will serve the Wake & Johnston County markets.
Today, the Goldsboro Builders Supply Family of Companies is a diverse group of companies in the building and real estate industry throughout NC.